SC - Parchment, Hungarian, Titles, A Quest, and a Reminder

david friedman ddfr at best.com
Sun Jan 18 20:20:53 PST 1998

At 1:51 PM +0000 1/18/98, James and/or Nancy Gilly wrote:
>Um - what's "murri"?

An ingredient widely used in medieval Islamic recipes that seems to have
vanished sometime after the thirteenth century; there are surviving
recipes. Think of it as the medieval Islamic equivalent of soy sauce--made
in quantity by a process that takes a long time, and a little used in
almost everything.

So far as I know, nobody has recreated it in recent centuries--doing so
would be an interesting project but might take a while (one stage in the
process involves fermenting some dough all summer). There is, however, a
period recipe for quick, fake murri (and a period warning in another source
against using it), so that is what we use. For details, see the
_Miscellany_ (webbed).

David/Cariadoc
http://www.best.com/~ddfr/