SC - Lenten foods

Mon Jan 19 10:10:24 PST 1998

Greetings All,

Sorry that I haven't posted for a couple of days but I've been feeling a little
under the weather.

Here's the final menu I used at 12th Night as posted in my handout at the door.

Bread with Honey

FIRST COURSE

- -	Roast Pork with Assorted Sauces
		ingredients: pork, salt, pepper, rosemary
- -	Garlic Pepper Sauce
		ingredients: bread, wine vinegar, wine, meat broth, garlic,
		pepper, salt
		source: _Pleyn Delit_
- -	Stawberry Sauce
		ingredients: almonds, meat broth, rice flour, strawberries,
		salt, cinnamon
		source: _Pleyn Delit_
- -	Lombard Brewet in Bread Bowls
		ingredients: chicken, almonds, bread, egg yolks, parsley, pepper,
		butter, mace, ginger, nutmeg, vinegar, salt
		source: _An Ordinance of Pottage_, Constance B. Hieatt
- -	Tart of Parsnips and Skerrits
		ingredients: carrots, parsnips, wine, butter, sugar, rosewater,
		eggs, lemon juice, pie crust
		source: _Martha Washington's Booke of Cookery_
- -	Saffron Rice
		ingredients: rice, saffron
		source Taillevent (14th Century)
- -	Apple Fritters
		ingredients: pancake mix, apples, confectioner's sugar
		source: _Pleyn Delit_

SECOND COURSE

- -	Beef Collops
		ingredients: beef, peppercorns, cloves, allspice, pepper, cinnamon,
		beef broth, ginger, wine vinegar
		source: _An Ordinance of Pottage_
- -	Chicken in Orange or Lemon Sauce
		ingredients: chicken, chicken stock, currants, dates, oranges,
		bread, peppercorns, mace, sugar, rosewater, white wine
		source: _A Taste of History: 10,000 Years of Food In Britain_
		adapted from Thomas Dawson
- -	Mushroom Pasties
		ingredients: mushrooms, olive oil, cheddar cheese, eggs, salt,
		pepper, mustard powder, wonton wrappers
		source: _The Medieval Cookbook_, Maggie Black
- -	Lentils
		ingredients: lentils, onions, olive oil, garlic, pepper, ginger,
		cumin, coriander, cloves, salt, bread crumbs, mint, parsley,
		vinegar
		source: _Arte de Cozina_, circa 1607
- -	Peascods
		ingredients: peapods, butter, salt
		source: _Pleyn Delit_
- -	Boiled Cream Custard Tart
		ingredients: whipping cream, butter, cream cheese, eggs, sugar,
		saffron, salt, ginger
		source: _An Ordinance of Pottage_

PLATTERS

- -	Sliced Apples and Pears
- -	Dates
- -	Cheese Toasts
		ingredients: bread, butter, cheddar cheese, cream cheese
		source: adapted from taditional Welsh, Sir Kenelem Digby's
			_A Closet Opened_
- -	Cuskeynoles
		ingredients: apples, pears, dates, figs, raisins, almonds, ginger,
		cinnamon, cloves, sugar, lemon juice, wonton wrappers
		source: _Curye on Inglysche_

A FEW NOTES ABOUT ADAPTATIONS TO THE RECIPES:
- -	Saffron Rice: In period, the rice would have been steeped in milk. Water
	has been substituted for milk for economic reasons. As a result, this recipe
	would probably have been a little bland to the medieval palate.
- -	Apple Fritters: The original recipe calls for beer batter. A commercial
	batter has been substituted instead for economic reasons. It is hoped that
	this will at least give an example of a period sweet.
- -	Parsnip and Carrot Tart: This recipe is taken from _Martha Washington's
	Booke of Cookery_. This book is a collection of recipes handed down. This
	particular recipe is believed to date to 1550-1625.

PLEASE NOTE: Since everyone seems to eat everything in the first course and all
of that wonderful food in the second course goes ignored, no seconds will be offered
until the second course has been served.

THANKS: The Cooks would like to thank everyone who has helped with teh pre-feast
work:

	Lady Alys Durivaux, especially for Logistical support
	Lady Giuliana and HL Muireann for graciously allowing us the use of
		thier home
	Duke Lloyd and HL Thyra for being there and allowing us to do this
	Corwin MacEoian and Lady Giuliana for all to thier hard work
	TE Robin and Adelicia for jumping in and making a LOT of cuskynoles
	And all of those wonderful people who just drop in and help during the day.

				We hope you enjoy!

This is pretty much verbatum from the handout. I have posted the recipes for the
Lombardy Brewet, Boiled Cream, and Chicken with Orange sauce. For the Cuskynoles
I used (I believe) Aiofe's posted recipe. I also cheated in using the wontons and
folding them over. I could have placed another wonton over the first and had a
period version using the "ravioli" type argument. The reason we used the foldover
method was so that it would be different from the mushroom pasties already used.

I will print the recipes for the sauces, collops, and pasties later.

The lentils were the recipe Duke Cariadoc posted as "A dish of Lentils".

The peascods were a big hit. I used fresh green beans and boiled them in salted
water. They were then tossed with some melted butter. They came out very light
and tender, amongst all of the rich heavy dishes they were a taste of Spring.

Although the thought of a lot of small dishes can be daunting, I found them useful
because you can recruit more help in the pre-feast phase. People will be more
willing to help cook a smaller amount of a dish. Also the fact that there were
many dishes helped me stretch the feast more when it became overrun.

Comments are always appreciated.

Yers,

Gunthar