SC - HELP!!!! Need missing digests

kat kat at kagan.com
Wed Jan 21 11:45:28 PST 1998

adamantius wrote:
<snip>
> pottages in Le Menagier, try finding a recipe for a garbure or a potee,
> which are often primarily based on things like leeks, ham, and cabbage.
><snip>
>
> Rather more than modern cooks use wine, I'd say. In fact, there are many
> recipes for pottages where wine is the primary liquid.
>
> > 3.  Is mayonnaise period?
>
> I _think_ there's an emulsified (which is the key for the creaminess of
> mayonnaise) sauce in Manuscrito Anonimo, which is a puree of garlic,
> and, I think, hard-boiled egg yolks, with olive oil beaten slowly in.
> That's probably about as close as you'll find until the eighteenth
> things (i.e. mortrews, for example), but would generally be served hot
> as a thick pottage or hash.
> <snip some more>
> I'm getting the impression (and please correct me if I'm mistaken) that
> you're leafing through a modern French cookbook looking for ideas.
> Certainly if you find a modern recipe that seems to produce a dish
> similar to some period dishes, you can get some excellent ideas  about
> proportions and cooking times, etc., but the likelihood is you'll get
> better results by looking at period sources and then looking forward to
> modern sources to find clues as to how to proceed on the period recipes,
> rather than the other way around.
<snip agian>
> Please forgive me if I'm sounding mean and nasty: I know it can be
> frustrating when you ask for help and you get something other than the
> help you ask for, but I'm trying to split the difference, if you see
> what I mean, only because I feel pretty strongly about the issue.
>
> Hoping at least some of this helps,
>
> Adamantius
My Lord,
If that is as mean and nasty as you get please feel free to "flame" (or
should that be flambe`?) any time.  However, the questions I had came from
pure curiosity since I am trying to cook very period for my husband and
myself at Estrella.  I tried to find some answers in a modern cook book
(some of which do have some great info, BTW I collect american cook books
published prior to 1969).
I also have an ulterior motive.  My hubby is a mayo freak while I barely
tolerate the stuff and I want a better reason to leave it home than the
slight possibility of spoilage--we always bring ice to events.  So OOP is a
great excuse.
The ham mousse q came ro me when I was making stock.  All my stock "sets
up" in the fridge so it occurred to me that a medieval cook might have
noticed this phenom during cold winter months added some cream and finely
minced meat-- et voila--mousse.
Anyhoo--Thanks for the info--
Celestria