SC - Stroganoff

Anne-Marie Rousseau acrouss at gte.net
Wed Jan 21 22:54:05 PST 1998

Hi all from Anne-Marie
Ras says, re: my comment that Beef Stroganoff isn't medieval in concept...

> I must take exception to this observation. There are extant examples of
> recipes from the Middle East that incorporate the "stroganoff" concept.
> Granted, they use "Persian milk" (e.g. yogurt) in place of sour cream and
do
> not have a noodle base.
>
> Only this past Friday I served a "sroganoff"-like dish at supper from al-
> Bahgdadi which consisted of  lamb, onions, mint and other seasoning mixed
with
> yogurt. To all intent and purposes it looked like and tasted very similar
> it's stroganoff counterparts and was period (10th century, IIRC).

Ah yes, "Mom Glop"! :) That's what it's affectionately known as here
because when I reconstructed it at a meeting, I noted that it looks like
something my mother would have made...but that's another story.

I guess to my mindset, for something to be beef stroganoff, it needs to be
beef with mushrooms in a cream sauce and served on a starch. By my
definition, MomGlop doesn't fit that bill. But then I dont call my fladens
"pizza" either, just cuz they are food stuffs on bread dough. I'm picky
that way :)....

If you want to call your cumin and mint flavored meat and yogurt stuff
"stroganoff-like", that's up to you. I personally wouldnt make that
comparison, but that's me...Its natural to want to identify new foods with
familar ones. I have run into trouble with that, though..."Anne-Marie says
pizza is period!" when I really may have said that fladen is rather like
pizza, without the tomato sauce. Next thing you know, you got Dominos
delivering at your next feast, the Norse king shows up wearing Cavalier and
total anarchy reigns! (sorry, little non sequiteur there)

So,if by "stroganoff" you mean a meat dish mixed with some sort of sour
dairy product, then yes, "stroganoff" is a period concept. My definition of
"stroganoff is a little more strict than that, I guess.

- --AM