SC - Re:Feast planning

Wes Will wwill at siu.edu
Fri Jan 23 07:12:02 PST 1998

>  --An 18 (EIGHTEEN) person table?!?  And the server literally "served"
> each person?
>
> Wow.  Although it's been a while, I'm used to 8-person tables, with
> every dish  being cooked or served in a size that's divisible by the
> per-table number.

We try to plan an 8 person table. Some of the servers had up to 24 diners
to deal with. This was the major problem of the feast.

> The servers bring the several dishes of the (course)
> to the table at the beginning of the course and the diners serve
> themselves.  Pie-type items will be pre-cut in the kitchen, but
> otherwise, all the diners at the table, even if strangers, are expected
> to be responsible about not taking more than their share on the first
> pass of a dish around the table.  I must say, this report makes the
> "one-dish-at-a-time" service comments I'd been wondering about seem
> somewhat more comprehensible...

The original plan was for the server to bring the courses out on a platter,
set the platter on the table and the diners to hand over their plates to
be served on. The server was to know the size of the servings ahead of time.
Any food left over would be brought back to the kitchen to go to tables that
needed more.

It was hoped to show the "small full-meal" attitude of many period feasts.

> (The halls and table set-ups I'm familiar with from the "olden days"
> usually didn't have sufficient passage room between tables for someone
> to circulate around the table, stopping and balancing and maneuvering,
> anyway -- probably why it would never have occurred to me (AND I haven't
> read the servers thread yet, 8-). )

We'd already gone out and planned on the space between tables so the servers
would not have any trouble in the aisles. This was a nice big hall.

> Chimene

Yers,

Gunthar