SC - chickenballs

Marisa Herzog marisa_herzog at macmail.ucsc.edu
Fri Jan 23 16:33:15 PST 1998

I want to make chickenballs to go with a recipe from A Baghdad
Cookery-book, but I haven't the slightest idea how to start. I checked
the _Joy of Cooking_ but they had no advice on how to make meatballs out
of chicken.

Can I just grind up raw chicken thighs and then act like it's the usual
mixture of quadruped meat? (Should I remove the skin from the chicken
first?) Or should I cook it then grind?

I was planning make meatballs from ground chicken meat, spices (minced
mint, coriander, cumin, pepper), breadcrumbs and egg. Is this a
resaonable guess for "Add kabobs of [chicken] minced with seasonings"?

I tried "mincing" cooked (boiled) chicken meat with a knife, but the
balls I made fell apart when boiled.

Any suggestions would be greatly appricated.

Crystal of the Westermark

ps/ just in case you need context - please delete when replying.
<begin quote>
NARSIRK
This is a Persian word, meaning "Pomegranate and vinegar" Cut fat
[chicken] into middling pieces, then put into the sauce pan and cover
with water. Adding a little salt. Boil, and remove the scum. When almost
cooked, throw in coriander, cumin, pepper, cinnamon and mastic; bray all
separately from the cinnamon, leaving this last in its bark. Cut up
onions, wash and put into the pot, with a few sprigs of mint. Add kabobs
of [chicken] minced with seasonings. Take pomegranate seeds, grind up
fine, mix with wine-vinegar strain and pour into the saucepan. Peel
[almonds], grind them fine, soak in hot water and add, flavoring the
mixture to taste, and putting in sufficient [almond] to give it
consistency. Then throw on top a few pieces of whole [almond], and rub
in sprigs of dry mint. Spray with a little rose water; wipe the sides
with a clean rag, and leave over the fire to settle. Then remove.
<end quote>
Yes, the original said red meat and walnuts, but I'm trying to please
the "vegetarians" and my co-cook is allergic to walnuts.