SC - chickenballs

david friedman ddfr at best.com
Fri Jan 23 23:18:28 PST 1998

<<
 What is the relationship between indigo and woad?  Does indigo come
 from woad?  Can it come from anything else?  Indigo has been used to
 color confections... (Found a recipe in a new book I just got.)  How is
 indigo "made"?

 Alys Katharine

     There is a chemical that causes the blue dye that is common to both woad
and indigo, but indigo contains a good bit more of it, so it makes a stronger
dye with less plant bulk. However, the color can only develop into a permanent
dye after a period of fermentation in a bath containing, I believe, urea--or
for the authentic souls, urine. *Not* my type of food coloring........... ;-)
It is possible, however, that the indigo "tea" that is made before the
fermentation starts might be blue, and be what is used as a candy additive.
I'm not sure--I haven't done much dying yet, just listened to other's talk
about it.

    Ldy Diana