SC - Sumac (was: Imam Bayaldi)

margali margali at 99main.com
Sat Jan 24 09:28:49 PST 1998

Hi all from Anne-Marie

Re; Things we assume are period that aren't really:
Cariadoc mentions:

> Someone should put together a list of things everyone believes that
aren't
> so, including coffee in al-Islam (through most of our period), curved
> swords as the norm in al-Islam at the time of the crusades, medieval
people
> never bathing, ...   .

My favorite is mulled cider and wine. I have seen no documentation for the
serving of spiced beverages hot (no primary sources, anyway). And only one
of the many recipes for ypocras is even mentioning cooking while preparing.
Since so many reicpies specify "serve it forth all hot" or something to
that effect, one would think that if it was supposed to be served hot, like
we blythely assume in the SCA, they would have mentioned it.

Unless someone knows of a primary source I missed/havent seen?
Always willing to be shown the error of my ways :)...
- --Anne-Marie, one of those "impractical" people who really really really
wants to do it the way it was in the middle ages :)