SC - Where are you?

margali margali at 99main.com
Sun Jan 25 12:14:19 PST 1998

Deborah J Hammons wrote:

> I have the text of the ruling, along with the
> explaination from Duke Andrew (exec to the BoD) regarding the
> decision.
> SCA funds cannot be used to purchase alcohol for consumption, only for
>
> cooking.  It has also  been interpreted to mean that SCA funds cannot
> be
> used to purchase ingredients for making alcohol for consumption.
> <snip>

> Instead of the
> usual disclaimer of a site being wet, dry, or damp, we are supposed to
>
> state that the site allows you to bring and consume your own alcohol.
> This sidesteps the issue of alcohol being "provided" at an event.
> Also,
> the issue of the "officers of the SCA" and their liability was
> discussed.
>  An officer of the SCA is interpreted as any sitting Royal, any
> officer
> of the Society, Kingdom, or local group. So by the book, anyone
> fitting
> into that discription should not offer alcohol for consumption,
> because
> they are acting on the behalf of the Society.  Talk about nit picking.
>
> Aldyth

so, this to me does not suggest that we cannot donate a bottle of
something to be auctioned, as the officer/s is/are not providing it for
consumption at an event. it might be construed as implied that the
purchaser may in fact consume it at the sight[provided the site were wet
or damp] but dies not implicitly state that the auctioned booze is
required to be consumed. to me this means all the auctioneer has to do
is make sure that an officer is not donating the hooch, and the
purchaser has to be of age, and the hooch is to be consumed at either
the home, or a suitablt moist site. now, if the booze is donated and
bought nder these conditions, i think it would all under the normal
raffle of nonprofit orgs category. granted i am not admitted tothe bar
here in CT, but I have been dabbling in pre law with an eye towards
getting admitted...but that will be in the future.
margali