SC - Where are you?

Wendy Trankle wendyt at mail.telis.org
Mon Jan 26 14:58:36 PST 1998

>> The name is descriptive of plants whose leaves follow the sun.  So what
>>  European plants follow the sun?
>
>I've heard it attributed to be everything from lichens to sunflowers (Which I
>THOUGHT were New World). A friend is researching it and was going to grind
>sunflower seeds to see if it worked. My bet is it won't.
>
>Corwyn

He may not get dye, but he should get oil. :-)

So perhaps the question should be, are there any native European members
of genus Heliotropium?  If not, does Gerard's Herball or possibly
Cesalpino's De Plantis (unfortunately, both of these are after the
conquest of Peru) identify a European plant as turnsole, turnesole,
tournesol, or tornasole.  I have neither of these texts, so I can't help
you on this point.

Bon Chance

Bear