SC - Where are you?

Luxeuil jlv at halcyon.com
Tue Jan 27 11:00:15 PST 1998

Good Day All,

Once again it looks like Ld. Ras and myself are at loggerheads. :-{)}

> In my own experience, over the last 4 years, a last minute decision to go to
> an event meant a trip to the grocery store on the way if you plan on eating
> anything. Of course, Dayboards and bereakfast are served to all attendees but
> if you want nourishment at feast time and did not preregister......Sorry!
>
> Why has this positive trend developed?

My apologies but I do not find this trend as "positive". I have already stated
my personal preference for hosting all comers to an event. But I must admit
that we do not have breakfast or lunch boards here in Ansteorra so I guess it
evens out.

> IMHO, it is because the cooks of the East and Aethelmearc seem to concentrate
> on period and period-like food.

I don't see how having period and period-like food for 400 is any different than
having non-period food. The converse being I don't know why you should only serve
half of the people if you are doing period food?

> Another cause is the fact that many event goers look forward to experiencing
> the medieval atmosphere in totallity. A well-made period like feast enhances
> this experience. And , at least in the case of my shire, the inclusion of
> bardic competitions, dancing and othere entertainments make the fast
> experience even more exciting.

You have my total agreement in this case.

> Make no
> exceptions even for high rankning officials. After all, if the King finds
> football more pleasant than mingling with his subjects and he must see the
> menu in advance to decide whether to eat feast or not, the King shouldn't mind
> being told there's no room at the Inn if he failed to pre-register. :-)

Again I must disagree. In Ansteorra it is almost a duty for the Crown to attend
feast. In this way They may be approached for non-Court business, be entertained
and have the toasts drunk in Their honor. Even though the King may rather be in
the other room watching the football game or relaxing at a local pizza parlor with
His buddies, He at the very least will sit and begin the feast with the diners.

I'm not saying either way is wrong. This is Interkingdom Anthropology time and
my way is definately the slippery way. As I stated earlier, I may have to go
the pre-registration only route as things grow. But so far the challenge is still
doable and (Lord help me) I will continue to do so. At least for a while. :-{)}

I hold Ld. Ras in the highest respect and am only showing a different side of the
issue.