SC - Bread Making From Platina

Christi Redeker Christi.Redeker at digital.com
Tue Jan 27 14:27:58 PST 1998

Since I'm taking a break, reading Trager's The Food Chronology, let's see
what he has to say about the history of pasta.

1279 CE - The inventory of the estate of a Genoese soldier lists a basket of
macaronis.

Marco Polo refers to paste a lasagne.

1400 CE - Extruded pasta (vermicelli) is being made in Naples.

1475 CE - Platina gives a recipe for pasta in Concerning Honest Pleasure and
Physical Wellbeing.

1607 CE - Hugh Plat describes pasta as hollow pipes of wafer, called
macarone by the Italians, in his Certain Philosophical Preparations of Food
and Beverage for Sea-men.

Information about the Platina recipe and a recipe for ravioli from the 1553
Das Kochbuch der Sabrina Welserin can be found in the food section of
Stefan's Florilegium at:

http://www.pbm.com/~lindahl/rialto/rialto.html

Bon Chance

Bear