SC - alcohol reimbursements

LrdRas LrdRas at aol.com
Tue Jan 27 19:17:12 PST 1998

The critical part of the recipe is the leaven.  Platina is talking about
adding the leaven (not barm or yeast)  and letting the bread rise overnight
if I understand his instructions about not baking on the same day.  What he
is probably talking about is using some dough reserved from the previous
breadmaking which is known as a leaven.  You would use about a cup to 2 cups
of leaven to eight loaves (from my experience with starters).

The leaven would be broken up in the warm water.  The salt could be added to
either the water or the flour (Platina appears to add it to the water).  The
flour would then be added to the liquor a cup or so at a time and stirred in
until the dough turns into a ball.

Kneading the flour helps work the ingredients together, but it is not
absolutely necessary.  Platina does not specify kneading, but it may be
understood and it does make a better loaf.

The bread is put in a bowl and set aside to rise.  A damp, slightly cool
place would keep the surface of the dough from drying out and would slow the
rise.

Although Platina does not say so, the bread is probably punched down, shaped
and allowed to rise again.  It would then be baked in a cooling oven.

I've got to log off, but when I come back, I'll post an adaption I think
will work.

Bear