SC - Vinegar

LrdRas@aol.com LrdRas at aol.com
Fri Jan 30 16:02:30 PST 1998

In a message dated 1/30/98 9:56:40 AM Eastern Standard Time,
Gedney.J at tempphd1.com writes:

<< To have it apply to cooking wine as a flavoring in hot dishes is, in my
 mind an unreasonable and unjustified extrapolation of the ruling.

 Brandu >>

To my knowledge this rule does not apply to "cooking" wines and spirits in
either Aethelmearc or the East Kingdom.  It APPEARS to be unique in the
Kingdom of Ansteorra.  At my last feast which was immediately after the BoD
ruling, I was entirely reimbursed for the vodka ale and 4 gals of wine that
went into the making of the feast.

I have all of my recipes available for public inspection.  All one has to do
is ask.  I hand you the recipe.  You read it.  If you can't eat it.  You
don't.  It's really that simple.  My PERSONAL policy is to NOT make exceptions
for those with allergies, vegins, or any other unique human attendee.  There
is always plenty of other things to fill you up.  Requests from people who are
allergic to common spices such as black pepper or along that line are simply
dealt with as they occur but it is certainly unreasonable in my view to
require an entire feast to be altered for one persons allergy.

I would not expect it for myself if I were allergic to particular foods and I
don't expect others to demand it. But we have gone over this subject numerous
times and it's like the preachers preaching to each other. ;-)

So far as addictions go, I do not cook with any special preparation for those
individuals.  If they do not want to eat a dish that has had wine cooked in it
as an ingredient that is there loss but I will not leave it out if it is an
essential ingredient in the recipe which is freely available for reading well
ahead of the time it will be served.

A simple phone call to the Feastocrat should allay any problems with
individual eating disorders at any feast I am in charge of.  You can't have
alcohol?  Fine, there are 20 other dishes without it.  No nuts?  Same
response.  Pepper allergy?  My humblest apologies but 14 of the dishes have
pepper in them.  You can decide whether you want to risk onboard.  I think
this is what Aoife meant when she emphasized the need for personal
responsibility.  I cook a feast as period as I can and it is up to the
attendees to decide if they can eat it or not.  It is not, IMHO, my
responsibility to anticipate other peoples medical problems.

For the past 5 yrs. my feasts have, without exception been sold out 4 to 6
weeks in advance so I don't think that most find my way of doing things
objectionable.  I have had one person go to the hospital in shock from eating
lentils (e.g., they didn't read the menu which specifically stated "Lentil"
whatever). and one orthodox Jew literally attacked me physically after eating
3 bowls of bear stew which was listed on the menu as "Bear Stew" (e.g., they
didn't think anyone would dare serve such an unclean thing).

MY policy> I cook what I would like to eat (e.g. there's nothing I don't like
except 2 things) as well as I can cook it and stand back and watch others
enjoy the meal. :-)

Ras