SC - WAAAY-OT: Was Coffee, Tea at events

L Herr-Gelatt and J R Gelatt liontamr at ptd.net
Sat Jan 31 08:36:25 PST 1998

In a message dated 1/31/98 4:31:26 AM Eastern Standard Time, ddfr at best.com
writes:

<< Black currants
 and red currants are a different fruit--the botanical name is "ribes."  I
 don't know which the period source she has referred to is talking
 about--looking at it in the original might help.  My dictionary believes the
 ribes fruits got called currants because they looked like the other kind of
 currants, and the name of the original currant derives from "Corinth."

 David/Cariadoc >>

This is correct so far as my research has lead me to believe.  Thankfully the
product sold in the market as "Dried Currants " is in fact the zante raisin
(e.g., raisins of Corinth). It still amazes me that this very universal period
ingredient is still sold commercially  and is relatively universally available
in the modern world. :-)

Ras