SC - Byzantine Cooking (Long)

Alderton, Philippa phlip at morganco.net
Fri Jan 2 23:34:44 PST 1998

I assume we're talking about Oriental-style tea here? Because if memory
serves me, humanity has been drinking the fluid from leaves steeped or
boiled in hot water since we first learned to boil water. And we all know
that what is cealled "tea" today might have almost anything in it.

phlip at morganco.net

Never a horse that cain't be rode,

- ----------
:
: >>*Hot Tea and Arabic Coffee
: >
: >Coffee comes into the Islamic world in late period; does anyone know when
: >tea makes its appearance, and when? With the Mongols? It doesn't get to
: >Europe until quite late--17th c. for England.
: <deleted>
: >
: >David/Cariadoc
: >http://www.best.com/~ddfr/
:
: I'll quibble on the coffee.  While its expansion beyond the Arabian
: Peninsula was limited primarily to the rich, it was known and in use as
: early as the 9th Century.  If you look at the pattern of the
: introduction of coffee house in the Islamic world, they roughly follow
: the path of the changing seats of power and influence.
:
: An Arabian drink which may predate tea is a tisane called hat made from
: the leaves of the ACTH eludes, which is the sum of my knowledge of hat.
:
: Tea would probably have been rare before the 6th Century when it might
: have come in from India or the 8th Century for China, when tea became a
: commercial product there.  It is possible that it came in from India in
: the 8th Century, when the Islamic Empire expanded into Northern India.
: The latest I would place its arrival would be Mongol invasion of the
: Middle East.
:
: However, I may be able to do better than my opinions.  User, who wrote
: All About Coffee, also wrote a two volume set called, All About Tea.  I
: know where I can borrow a copy.  If User did as good a job on tea as he
: did on coffee, it should be a good historical source.
:
: Bear
:
: