SC - Couple of questions for ya'll...

pkl at absaroka.obgyn.ks.se pkl at absaroka.obgyn.ks.se
Sun Jan 4 22:33:43 PST 1998

On Sun, 4 Jan 1998, Mike C. Baker wrote:

> The evidence from "modern primitives" / "aboriginal peoples" for the
> equivalent to wrapping in foil and tossing into the coals is to coat
> with clay / mud / ash paste / other substances and toss into the

If the food doesn't have a natural covering of its own I recommend
starting off with a layer of leaves, and then the clay. Keeps the grit
out of your food. Burdock is my favourite.

> coals. Some of the speculation I have seen for the origins of fired
> pottery links back in about here, when some fire-using culture
> decided it would be cheaper / faster / better to re-use the
> fire-hardened clay.

Another possible origin are the clay-lined firepits that are known from
European paleolithic contexts. These are simply a pit, lined with clay
which is then fired (more or less) when dry. Supposedly (I've never had
an oppourtunity to build/use one of these yet) you either burn a fire in
them to heat them for cooking, or use hot rocks.

> stone soup / stew, I have much more respect for the requirements and
> niceities for using a tripod in the field. Cauldron cooking is not
> for the weak of back or faint of heart, and requires nearly
> *constant* attention. (For all that, Papa, the Three Kings

If you have a long chain for hanging your pot you can even set it to
simmer by letting it swing in and out of the fire. Not recommended for
really heavy pots unless you have a *very* sturdy setup.

/UlfR

- --
Par Leijonhufvud                  par.leijonhufvud at labtek.ki.se
PGP fingerprint = 76 3B 11 28 79 39 87 C0  DC 4C 1F 4C C0 1F 1E 89
/earth is 98% full. Please remove any excess inhabitants.