SC - Wine

Mon Jan 5 09:23:57 PST 1998

>At 05:44 PM 1/4/98 -0600, Bear wrote:
>>Bottles have been used since Roman times at the least.  What was not
>>available, to my knowledge, were bottles capable of handling
>>champagne-like pressures.
>>

>Is this really an issue with bottles, or with their corks/stoppels?  My
>lord and I recently took up glassblowing and I have a couple of blown-glass
>wine bottles here of a sort much like what could have been blown in period.
> Mine have fairly thick walls (much thicker than a modern machine-made
>glass bottle) because the temperature of the molten glass was (relatively)
>low.  I'd be surprised if these couldn't handle a significant amount of
>internal pressure.  Corks/stoppels that won't fly across the room are
>another matter!
>
>=Caitlin, glassworker
>

>--Caitlin Cheannlaidir
>  caitlin at phosphor-ink.com

I am given to understand that part of the problem is flaws in the glass
and that unflawed glass really did not get started until about 1400 CE
(in Venice, where else?).  Of course, if you can not seal the bottle,
you can not get enough pressure to break the bottle.

You as a glassworker are probably more knowledgeable than I, and I would
certainly be interested in what knowledge you have about period
containers.

Bear