SC - Romertopf?

DUNHAM Patricia R Patricia.R.DUNHAM at ci.eugene.or.us
Tue Jan 6 09:59:00 PST 1998

I have both the beehive and baguette model unglazed clay bread bakers
with lids, as from Williams Sonoma catalog.  When doing bread in these
covered thingies, you can rinse (not soak) the inside of the lid (upper
half) just before they go in the oven and that provides the "steam" that
is supposed to enhance the crust.  Much simpler than opening the oven
every 5 minutes to spray with a mist/spray bottle! which I have seen in
older (70's) recipes.  The baking stones are intended to be used plain
as a bottom baking surface, with no enclosing upper portion.

Chimene
patricia.r.dunham at ci.eugene.or.us
http://members.aol.com/gerekr/medieval.html (home)