SC - Kraut

Mordonnade Mordonnade at aol.com
Sun Jan 11 19:01:00 PST 1998

Here are some samples of the good German cooking from the "Dutch Fork" area of
South Carolina.  I'd like an opinion of it's periodicity.

To make good kraut:

cabbage
coarse salt

Chop or shred five or six large heads of cabbage
In a crockery urn (about 12-15 liters) layer cabbage and salt, about three
handsfull of cabbage to one of salt
cover with a square of clean gauze or cheese cloth
place a saucer on top of the gauze and place a clean stone in it (at least a
pound) and loosely cover urn with a lid
allow to sit in a moderately cool, dark space for at least three weeks

Kraut and Pigtail

1 pigtail
1 liter of kraut
1 Tbs sugar
pepper to taste
1 c flour

cook pigtail in enough water to barely cover until falling from the bone
drain and rinse the kraut
add the kraut, sugar, and pepper to the pot with the pigtail
make a thick dough from the flour and some water
drop as dumplings into the kraut

serve hot

Liver Nips

STOCK:
2 lbs of a good fatty roast beef
2 large onions
salt
pepper
garlic

boil roast in enough water to cover with the onions and seasonings until it is
falling apart.  Remove the meat and place on a toasting pan and put in a hot
oven to brown.

DUMPLINGS:
1  whole calf's liver
2 cups flour

puree liver through a ricer and mix with flour to make a thick dough, adding a
bit of stock from the roast if necessary
pinch dumplings from the dough and add to the boiling beef  stock, cook just a
few minutes, until dumplings are done all the way through

(my mother-in-law used to sometimes add a bit of dried coriander to the broth)

Mordonna