SC - onion soup - IP

david friedman ddfr at best.com
Thu Jan 15 10:05:56 PST 1998

At 8:27 AM -0500 1/15/98, Christi Redeker wrote:

>Now the redaction I followed (evidentially without checking back against
>the originals, me bad) reads:
>
>ALMOND MILK
>
>1 cup blanched almonds
>2 cups water, wine, or broth
>1 Tablespoon dark brown sugar
>dash salt
>white sugar to taste
>
>Grind the almonds coarsely with 1 or 2 teaspoons cold water and place
>them in a large bowl.

One point that may not have occured to you is the "grind coarsely." Since
the objective is to get stuff out of the almonds and then throw away the
solid part, I think you want to grind them quite fine--at least, we do.

My favorite "redaction vs original" story involves a stew someone did with
lemons and oranges in it. I asked about the source, which turned out to be
14th or 15th c. English. I expressed skepticism, and was told that it was
in the source. It turned out that the lemons and oranges were in the
(published--possibly _To the King's Taste_) redaction--the original said
"garnish with fruit."

David/Cariadoc
http://www.best.com/~ddfr/