SC - Aquapatys

Mark.S Harris rsve60 at email.sps.mot.com
Thu Jan 15 11:38:35 PST 1998

>Some one was asking for the boiled garlic recipe from To The King's
>Taste.

Thank you. I was the one asking for this recipe and redaction. As I
suspected, there was more to it than just boiling the garlic. I
have a few questions (as always).

- -------------
Aquapatys

Pill garlec and cast it in a pot with water and oile and seeth it.  Do
thereto safron, salt, and powdor-fort and dress it forth hool.

Boiled Garlic.

Peel garlic.  Cast it into a pot with water and oil, and boil it.  Add
saffron, salt and strong powder.  Serve it forth whole.

Sass's version.

1 cup water
cloves of 6 bulbs of garlic, peeled
3 tablespoons of butter or oil
1/8 teaspoon saffron
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
pinch mace
garnish: 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
- ---------

The original used powder forte while this redaction uses cinnamon
and mace. I thought that powder forte was like our seasoned salt,
a mixture of spices varying from place to place but having definite
simularities. The recipes that I am thinking of for powder forte
used a combination of more spices than this. I thought galingale
was one of them. Is this correct? How well do we know what was
usually in powder forte?

Even if I’m wrong on the powder forte, I’m not sure it should be
redacted as *strong powder* and then to cinnamon and mace.

Comments anyone?
   Stefan li Rous