SC - Fruits

Margritte margritt at mindspring.com
Thu Jan 15 16:53:05 PST 1998

Good Gentles All-

Looking through several late-period cookbooks, I'm finding lots of recipes
for preserving fruits, and have the following questions:

- - I read or was told by someone (wish I could remember) that Pippins
referred to a specific type of apple which is no longer available. Anyone
know if this is true? If so, what is the best sort of apple to replace them
with. What about Costers, another (earlier?) term for apples? Are they also
a specific type, or a generic term?

- - Several recipes call for "Pear-Plums" while others just say "Plums". How
do these differ from each other?

- - Same for the terms "Pears" and "Wardens". Are Wardens a specific type of
pear?

- - How about "Damsins" and "Plums"?

- - Rasberries, raspiss, respass, rasps (all terms found in a single book)?

Here are the books I've been using:

Delightes for Ladies, by Sir Hugh Plat, with introduction by G. E. Fussell
and Kathleen Rosemary Fussell, Crosby Lockwood & Son, Ltd., London, 1948
(original published in 1609).

A Closet for Ladies and Gentlewomen or The Art of preserving, conserving
and candying, printed for Arthur Johnson, 1608.

A Queen's Delight or The Art of Preserving, Conserving and Candying,
printed for Nathaniel Brook, 1654.

Dining With William Shakespeare, by Madge Lorwin; Atheneum, New York, 1976.

Looking forward to your responses.

- -Margritte

Gryphon's Moon - Celtic jewelry, garb, and much more.
Catalog at http://maclain.home.mindspring.com
Or email us at gryphons.moon at mindspring.com