SC - Scotch Eggs

James and/or Nancy Gilly KatieMorag at worldnet.att.net
Thu Jan 15 19:25:16 PST 1998

At 03:52 15-1-98 +0000, Puck wrote:
>When I lived in Scotland, I asked for Scotch
>Eggs several times, hoping to once again enjoy this delight, but more often
>than not was handed a plain ole chicken egg, which I was loudly assured, to
>the amusement of the locals around me, that said egg (raw, still in the
>shell) most definitely came from a chicken with a highland ancestory and
>accompanying brogue.  SO, are Scotch eggs period, and whether or not they
>are, where did they originate, for the residents of Lothian and the Glasgow
>areas took great pains to ensure I understood it was not from Scotland.

Well, I was stationed in the Holy Loch from '89 to '92, and the chip shops
in Dunoon offered Scotch eggs.  (My normal order was haggis & chips, and a
Scotch egg.)  Unfortunately, as I just moved, my Scottish cookbook (the one
I bought in Glengoyne) is packed away where I can't get at it for a few
months, but I'm sure there's a recipe for Scotch eggs in it.

>Additionally, while I am a traditionalist and a good German Puck, they are
>doing wonderous things with turkey these days, and for someone who can't
>handle the grease involved in a traditional pork type sausage, this should
>prove to be an acceptable substitute.  Turkey sausage used to be
>disgusting, but now, if you buy the good stuff, can hardly be
>differentiated from pork based sausage.

Now there's a good idea!  The turkey sausage we bought in Norfolk (sorry -
don't recall the brand name) was quite acceptable.

Alasdair mac Iain

James and/or Nancy Gilly
katiemorag at worldnet.att.net

****  REUNITE GONDWANALAND!!