SC - OT un chef - male or female?

Charles McCathieNevile charlesn at sunrise.srl.rmit.edu.au
Sat Jan 17 19:14:27 PST 1998

In french EVERYTHING has a gender - Masculine or feminine. People are
simple - men and boys are masculine, women and girls are feminine. But
all cats, for example, and al dogs, are le chat / le chien - masculine.
So when I talk about my female cat Isabelle, I say Il est mon caht - "He"
is my (masculine) cat, without implying anything about the sex of the cat.

In the same way, le chef de cuisine is an office - it means the person
who is uin charge of the whole deal. The Le refers to the office of chef,
not the person of the chef. Other examples in French are madame le
professeur (the teacher) or le medicin (doctor), among many.

Charles