SC - rabbits

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Mon Jan 19 21:35:01 PST 1998

Stefan (me) said:
>> Earlier on this list it was mentioned that there was a market for
>> unborn rabbits during lent because they weren’t considered meat.
>
>what exactly was the source of this information? I have never seen a
recipe
>in a medieval cookbook that used fetal rabbits. In fact, the lenten
menus
>I've seen in Chiquart, as well as the English sources use fish/marine
>mammals exclusively during lent.

>Always willing to hear about new source material,
>- --Anne-Marie

I went back and looked for this information. I found the following
message in my rabbits-msg file in my Florilegium. However the original
message was posted on rec.org.sca rather than on this list.
Unfortunately,
the original poster does not quote her original source, but she does
say she will look it up if someone desires. Since this message is less
than a year old there is a chance that she can still be reached at the
email address she gives.

Stefan li Rous