SC - Fw: [Mid] Re: Your dinner is what?

Alderton, Philippa phlip at morganco.net
Mon Jan 19 18:12:17 PST 1998

Do we know what type these might have been?

phlip at morganco.net

Never a horse that cain't be rode,

- ----------
: Date: Monday, January 19, 1998 10:29:02
: From: Christine a Seelye-king
: To: Middlebridge
: Subject: [Mid] Re: Your dinner is what?
:
:
: >Ah, if only they'd had capsicums in the Middle Ages.
: >
: >Angelica Paganelli
:
: 	Rest assured my Lady, they did indeed!  My Lord is known to his
: friends as 'Deadtongue' and has done quite a bit of research into the
: firey fruit.  Columbus mentions them in the log from his first voyage.
: He set out looking for spices from the Indies, and so when he landed, he
: inquired as to any article that could be used as a spice or condiment.
: From Haiti, he concluded he had found a new type of pepper, stating "From
: this island alone, 50 caravels of this article could be loaded every
: year."
: ("Columbus Menu -Italian Cuisine after the First Voyage of Christopher
: Columbus" by Stafano Milioni)   His physician included the capsicum
: pepper in his diary as a medicinal, and samples were brought back on the
: first return trip.
: 	I suppose if you are sticking to the strict definition of the
: Middle Ages your lament is well founded, but in our period,   tongues
: were burnin'!
:
: 		Mistress Christianna MacGrain
: 		Lady to Lord Damon Fox, called Deadtongue
:
: From:  mermayde at juno.com (Christine a Seelye-king)
: +--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+    to unsubscribe, send a message to
: `~-,  ,-~`~-,  ,-~`~-,  ,-~`~-,  ,-~`    sca-middle-request at dnaco.net with
: .  |  |     |  |     |  |     |  |          'unsubscribe' as its body.