SC - french cooking or is Ham mousse just a fancy sausage?

dkpirolo at cts.com dkpirolo at cts.com
Mon Jan 19 03:57:29 PST 1998

Hello Group,
I have a bunch of q's for you folks.

1.  Is "pot-au-feu" (pot on the fire)actually period or just plausibly
period?
"pot-au-feu"--beef brisket,saltpork,onion with clove,leeks,turnips,parsley,
thyme,salt,one chicken--cleaned and trussed, cabbage.  MUST be cooked in
earthenware pot (no kidding--this is part of the directions) from a cook
book (1959) on french cookery.  I have read elsewhere that this dates from
the Middle Ages but since I do not own a copy of _Le Managier_ I cannot
check.

2.  The recipe for coq-au-vin leads me to believe it is plausibly period
due to its lack of new world veggies.  Did cooks use wine to cook with in
the Middle Ages or was it reserved solely for beverage?  Yes I know vinegar
was used but I am really interested in whether potable wine was used
regularly.

3.  Is mayonnaise period?

4.  Finally is a meat based mousse period?

Thanks much,
Celestria
(insert spiffy quote here)