SC - Mastadon

Par Leijonhuvud pkl at absaroka.obgyn.ks.se
Wed Jan 21 23:44:10 PST 1998

On Wed, 21 Jan 1998, Joseph Tolbert wrote:

> AS you can tell, I am still behind in my mail . . . How do you
> cook a mastadon ? the other year I saw an article in PRIMITIVE
> TECHNOLOGY magazine that attempted to answer that - in the article,

Errett Callahan, (1994) "A Mammoth Undertaking", Bulletin of Primitive
Technology #7?

> an elephant had died at a zoo, and a group of "experimental "
> archeologist / anthtopologist butchered it using stone tools they
> had made and cooked the meat. . .

If it was the same story they also ate some of the meat raw. The
_primary_ goal of the experiment was to test the stone-tip atlatl-darts
on a suitable "mammoth-type" target, and to test theories regarding the
butchering techniques, butchering marks on bones, etc.

> As for the cook pot, you can always line a hole with the skin, and
> toss in hot rocks - it brings the cookpot with it.

I like this. As long as someone else digs the hole (with a spoon[1]).

/UlfR

P.S. If we use BG to denote medieval recipies, and NC for rennaisance,
do we use PC [2] for this thread?

[1] ...because it hurts more.

[2] Paleolithic Cuisine.

- --
Par Leijonhufvud                  par.leijonhufvud at labtek.ki.se
PGP fingerprint = 76 3B 11 28 79 39 87 C0  DC 4C 1F 4C C0 1F 1E 89
If you know what you are doing it's not research.