SC - Saunders powder

david friedman ddfr at best.com
Mon Jan 26 10:41:02 PST 1998

At 8:39 AM -0600 1/26/98, Decker, Terry D. wrote:
>>On the same thread tho, does anybody know what turnsole
>>actually was?
>>
>>Corwyn
>
>Heliotrope (Heliotropium arborescens is the most common).  It has small
>fragrant purplish flowers and is native to Peru.
>
>Depending on the context, what is probably being referred to is the
>purple dye derived from the plant.
>
>Bear

Except that turnsole appears in european recipes before Columbus. There are
several different plants that have that name. I have a vague impression
that the master of the pepperer's guild thought he had figured out what the
one used in medieval cooking was, although I don't remember if he was
actually selling any.

David/Cariadoc
http://www.best.com/~ddfr/