SC - Onion Soup--Correction

david friedman ddfr at best.com
Mon Jan 26 22:44:39 PST 1998

I made another try at the recipe I posted the other day and realized I had
left out one step in the directions I posted.  So here is the corrected and
updated version.

Potage of Onions Which They Call "Cebollada"
Libro de Guisados, 1528, tr. Robin Carroll-Mann*

Take peeled onions which are well washed and clean and cut them in thick
slices, and cast them in a pot of boiling water, and then having let them
come to a boil once or twice, take them out of the pot and press them
between two wooden chopping boards and them fry them gently with good fatty
bacon or with bacon grease, stirring with a little shovel and moving it
about in the frying pan with the aforementioned little shovel which should
be of wood.  And if the onions dry up, cast in some good fatty mutton broth
until the onions are well cooked.  And then take almonds which are well
peeled and white and grind them well in a mortar and then dissolve them in
good mutton broth and pass them through a woolen strainer and then cast the
almond milk in the pot with the onions and mix it well, and cook them well
until the onions are cooked in the almond milk, and cast good grated cheese
from Aragon in the pot, and stir well with a stirrer as if they were
gourds, and when they are well mixed with the cheese and you see that it is
cooked, prepare dishes, first casting into the pot a pair of egg yolks for
each dish, and upon the dishes
cast sugar and cinnamon if you wish; and it is good.
*Lady Brighid ni Chiarain of Tethba, Barony of Settmour Swamp, East Kingdom

1 lb 10 oz onions
1 slice bacon= 1 oz
2 3/4 c lamb broth from 2 oz lamb fat and trimmings
1/2 c almonds
2 1/2 oz parmesan cheese
4 egg yolks
1 t sugar
1/8 t cinnamon

Put lamb trimmings in 4 c water and simmer an hour or so for broth. Blanch
almonds (put into boiling water briefly, remove, and squeeze almond out of
brown skin).  Peel and slice onions.  Grate cheese.  Separate eggs.  Grind
almonds fine and use 2 c of the lamb broth to make almond milk from them,
straining through cheesecloth.  Bring 4 c water to a boil; add sliced
onions, bring back to a boil, let boil a minute or two and then remove from
heat and drain.  Squeeze the onions between  two wooden boards and drain
off the juice.  Cut up bacon and fry in pot for a couple minutes, then add
onions and fry together for 10 minutes; add 1/2 c broth and cook another
5-10 minutes.  Add almond milk, simmer about another 10 minutes.  Stir in
grated cheese; as soon as it is melted, add egg yolks, stir them in and
remove from heat.  Put into serving bowl, mix cinnamon and sugar and
sprinkle over the top.

Elizabeth/Betty Cook