SC - bustard

Dan Gillespie dangilsp at intrepid.net
Tue Jan 27 16:00:11 PST 1998

Hi from Sylvan Glen:

><snip> bustard, common name for medium- to large-sized game birds
>of the family Otididae, related to the cranes and rails in the
>order Gruiformes.  There are about 23 species, confined to Africa,
>southern Europe, Asia, Australia, and part of New Guinea.  About 1 metre (40
>inches) tall, bustards have rather long legs, adapted
><snip>Alasdair mac Iain<snip>
>
>Well you learn something everyday... Who had the bustard recipe?  It would
>appear it is time to go on a bustard hunt, rather than finding a replacement.
>- -brid ("come here little chickie, I don't want to hurt you, I just want
to eat
>you", Gene Wilder chasing a grouse across the prairie in "the Frisco Kid")

It was myself who mentioned the bustard recipe from the ever-popular Arte de
Cozina, Spain 1607.....While the Great Bustard is not extinct in all of
Europe, it does appear to be an endangered species in the few parts of
Europe where it still exists.  I poked around on the 'Net & found that it
still lives in a few parts of Spain, Croatia, Hungary & Bulgaria.  It
appears also that many of its close relatives are also in some danger of
extinction, mostly due to loss of habitat & over-hunting.  They must be
popular game birds.  One mundane friend is possibly willing to donate a bit
of a wild turkey which he shot for my experimentation.  He suggested that
pheasant might be a decent substitute & might be available commercially.
        Hope that clears this up a little bit.  I'd hate for the Fish &
Wildlife Service to get on my case, as I used to work for that agency.
                                Take care,
                                                Antoine
Dan Gillespie
dangilsp at intrepid.net