SC - Private-auction Alcohol

margali margali at 99main.com
Tue Jan 27 17:05:11 PST 1998

- --------------DCAE06B0AF1766DB08392865

> You've got it backwards. The policy is not against drinking at events.
>
> It is against alcohol being distributed as an official part of the
> event, or by officers of the SCA as part of thier offical duties.
> thanks for your patience,
> Crystal of the Westermark
>
> margali wrote:
> > so, this to me does not suggest that we cannot donate a bottle of
> > something to be auctioned, as the officer/s is/are not providing it
> for
> > consumption at an event. it might be construed as implied that the
> > purchaser may in fact consume it at the sight[provided the site were
> wet
> > or damp] but dies not implicitly state that the auctioned booze is
> > required to be consumed. to me this means all the auctioneer has to
> do
> > is make sure that an officer is not donating the hooch, and the
> > purchaser has to be of age, and the hooch is to be consumed at
> either
> > the home, or a suitablt moist site. now, if the booze is donated and
>
> > bought nder these conditions, i think it would all under the normal
> > raffle of nonprofit orgs category. granted i am not admitted to the
> bar
> > here in CT, but I have been dabbling in pre law with an eye towards
> > getting admitted...but that will be in the future.
> > margali

I was implying that the contents of the bottle were not bought by the
officer, but donated by a member therefor it was not covered by the 'not
bought by the sca, nor distributed at an event' bit. it is the same if
somebody made an exquisite piece of elven work that would not be
appropriate to wear at an event[the reasonable attempt garb clause] but
would not be barred from being auctioned off. I have seen a chainmaile
bikini top auctioned off, and I daresay that there is no person who
would condone the wearing of such a thing anywhere but Pennsic.
Margali

- --------------DCAE06B0AF1766DB08392865

<HTML>

<BLOCKQUOTE TYPE=CITE>You've got it backwards. The policy is not against
drinking at events.
<BR>It is against alcohol being distributed as an official part of the
<BR>event, or by officers of the SCA as part of thier offical duties.
<BR>thanks for your patience,
<BR>Crystal of the Westermark

<P><B>margali wrote:</B>
<BR><B>> so, this to me does not suggest that we cannot donate a bottle
of</B>
<BR><B>> something to be auctioned, as the officer/s is/are not providing
it for</B>
<BR><B>> consumption at an event.</B> it might be construed as implied
that the
<BR>> purchaser may in fact consume it at the sight[provided the site were
wet
<BR>> or damp] but dies not implicitly state that the auctioned booze is
<BR>> required to be consumed. to me this means all the auctioneer has
to do
<BR>> is make sure that an officer is not donating the hooch, and the
<BR>> purchaser has to be of age, and the hooch is to be consumed at either
<BR>> the home, or a suitablt moist site. <B>now, if the booze is donated
and</B>
<BR><B>> bought nder these conditions, i think it would all under the normal</B>
<BR><B>> raffle of nonprofit orgs category.</B> granted i am not admitted
to the bar
<BR>> here in CT, but I have been dabbling in pre law with an eye towards
<BR>> getting admitted...but that will be in the future.
<BR>> margali</BLOCKQUOTE>
I was implying that the contents of the bottle were not bought by the officer,
but donated by a member therefor it was not covered by the 'not bought
by the sca, nor distributed at an event' bit. it is the same if somebody
made an exquisite piece of elven work that would not be appropriate to
wear at an event[the reasonable attempt garb clause] but would not be barred
from being auctioned off. I have seen a chainmaile bikini top auctioned
off, and I daresay that there is no person who would condone the wearing
of such a thing anywhere but Pennsic.
<BR>Margali</HTML>

- --------------DCAE06B0AF1766DB08392865--