SC - genetic drift

LrdRas LrdRas at aol.com
Tue Jan 27 21:53:16 PST 1998

In a message dated 1/27/98 7:28:57 PM Eastern Standard Time,
dangilsp at intrepid.net writes:

<< There is certainly a large chance that in the baseness of
 selective pressure that would favor one type over another, that the isolated
 population will tend to gradually shift in the relative proportion of
 certain genetic traits.
         Gee, my parents would be so proud to know that the many dollars
 spent on higher education aren't totally wasted.  And, yes, I do work in a
 biological research lab; I guess it shows, doesn't it?
                         Take care,
                                         Antoine >>

Thanks for the info.  Point well taken.  However, do you think that such
occurrences would have an overall affect on the integral nature of the beast
as it were?  Would it not still be infinitely closer to authentic than say,
substituting a Rhode Island Red for an extant period breed?  Given the
breeders associations and members that I am associated with I find it
inconceivable that they would allow a major drift to occur.

For instance, if an heirloom chicken breed was noted for it's black spots, any
deviation from the black spotted norm would be destroyed by a conciencious
fancier as soon as these characteristics were observed.

My position is that "period" varieties are much closer and are, in some cases
the same, as those used in the MA.  That the planting or raising of these
plants/animals is, if not totally authentic, at least with regard to general
characteristics, the same or similar enough to the original so as to not make
any significant or noticeable difference in flavor or perceived quality.
Basically, if these varieties/breeds were transplanted to the MA any deviation
would probably go unnoticed or not cause alarm to the original people who used
the variety/breed.

Ras