SC - coffe and tea at events

Gedney, Jeff Gedney.J at tempphd1.com
Fri Jan 30 10:29:50 PST 1998

My Name, it seems is being bandied about...

> If he's got a southfacing window, instead of curtains, he could cover
> it
> with a shelf rack loaded with some of the smaller herbs, if that's
> what he
> wanted to do.
Tried it. Sometimes this works, sometimes there are large trees or other
windows shading such windows.

Personally, my failure was due to my cats eating all the young shoots
and herbs.  Ian I did not even try to grow CATNIP!
Still, later on, when I had given away two of the four cats, I had
children, and THEY destroyed my potted plants.
By the time I could grow anything the trees in the front of the house
occluded all sun except near sunset.

> Also, many communities are making gardening ground available
> to interested but land-deprived gardeners, frequently for free or at a
> nominal cost.
Yeah, if you want other people poking through your tomatoes!,  I have
seen these in action, and sometimes I see people poking through two or
three plots, so they can't be going through their own!!  At least, If I
grow in my yard, I know who has been touching the stuff I am going to
put in my families mouth!

>  There's always a way if you want to bad enough. When I was
> living in Zanesville, I worked out a deal to use one neighbor's empty
> lot,
> and shared it with another neighbor, so I could grow some of the
> bulkier
> crops rather than just my usual hot peppers and tomatoes and potted
> herbs.
I challenge you to find such empty lots in downtown New Haven, or other
very built cities!
I had at one time use of the postage stamp of a backyard my building has
for gardening, and was able to grow lots of stuff. That was before the
people who moved in on the first floor brought their children, and
insisted that they have equal use of the yard.
I can still grow mint, though, I kept them amongst the rose bushes.

I I did have in mind a plan to grow Coffee Arabica plants in pots, but I
quailed when I thought about having to haul them up three flights every
winter to put them indoors. I'll have to wait until I get a place of my
own, and can put together a proper greenhouse.

I do think that those who assume that the resources (geographic or
otherwise) available in their area, which enable high levels of
recreation on a budget, are available everywhere, are fooling
themselves.  While some people might be able to get plenty of vine and
junkwood for basketmaking, for example, from overgrown areas in their
locale, people in other areas have to pay for basket making materials.
The same might be true for certain foodstuffs, or clothing, as well.

Let us not forget the time factor!!  While you may have time to grow
asparagus, does not mean that others have as well!!
Tending, weeding, watering, and protecting a plot of land does take
time. When I had a little garden, it took roughly 16-17 hours a week.
Now that I am a single parent, I can devote maybe 2-3 hours a week.

If you have a good way to recreate something, cheaply, Great!
Teach those who are able to learn what you know, if you wish.
But do not criticise those who do not have the time or resources
(monetary, geographic, or otherwise) to do the same.

Brandu