SC - Re: Mead notes

kappler kappler at edgenet.net
Thu Jan 1 02:40:17 PST 1998

>      Hummmm, a query from a very inexperienced would-be mead maker--could
you
> not rinse out the containers after they have been sanitized (by either
method)
> with plain water (or boiling water, perhaps?)? That would seem to solve
the
> problem, although it does add an extra step in the proccess.
>
>     Ldy Diana

Why yes!  I normally use iodophore (sp?) or B-Brite, but have on occasion
not had them available and used a dilute bleach solution.  Regardless of
the sanitizer used, a rinse with boiled water always follows to ensure no
pollution of the wort/must.  Highly effective and recognozed/recommended by
the more advanced brewers and vintners I know.  Of course, being a Puck and
therefore scrupulous only about what I brew and cook, I rinse twice.

Regards, Puck