SC - Milk/Meat separation in Kashrut...

Crystal A. Isaac crystal at pdr-is.com
Fri Jan 2 13:24:56 PST 1998

As my faulty memory serves me: if you accidently use meat tools for milk
(or the reverse) you must wash them, bury them in the earth for three
days and wash them again before you use them. There's always ways to
clean (purify) things. Wander into your local Jewish bookstore and flip
through some books. I've always found the staff helpful at such places,
even in the face of my really silly questions. (I once needed to know if
baking powder counts as a levening agent, it does.)

Crystal of the Westermark

Philip & Susan Troy wrote:
snip
> > Any of you folks out there have an idea what the minimum time period is for
> > separation of milk and meat in kosher cooking?
snip
> > phlip at morganco.net
> >
> Don't mean to sound flippant, but my impression is that the amount of
> separation time for milk and eat in Kosher cooking, is the amount of
> time needed to go out and buy new plates, pots, and pans, or to access
> the second set of everything that you keep for this purpose. For the
> less demanding, a.k.a. "Kosher style", it is, as far as I know, the
> amount of time needed to carefully wash and dry everything that has
> touched one before making contact with the other, if you know what I
> mean.
>
> Many "reformed" Jews (in other words, non-Orthodox) simply clear the
> table of all meat-related dishes and utensils before serving dairy
> foods, coffee with milk or cream, etc., secure in the knowledge that
> what the Torah specifically states is that one should not seethe a calf
> (or is it kid?) in it's mother's milk.

 Do not boil a kid in the milk of its mother; is the quote you are
looking for.