SC - period celery use

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Sat Jan 3 23:42:03 PST 1998

Ras said:

>In case I missed it throw in a couple of stalks of chopped celery
>with there leaves.

Interesting. First time I’ve heard mention of using the celery leaves
as well as the stalks.

Does anyone have evidence of celery leaves being used in period? In
Food by Waverly Root, she does mention celery in medieval times but
mentions only the stalks. She also indicates that the Romans cultivated
celery, although they prefered the stronger tasting wild celery. The
art of growing celery may have been lost in the Middle Ages, not
surfacing again until the 1500s in Italy.

She says the celery leaf was a common motif on Goth cathedrals and
on the coronets of dukes and marquis.

Stefan li Rous
stefan at texas.net