SC - Re:coffee, tea or sugar

Dan Stratton agincort at raex.com
Sat Jan 3 04:46:26 PST 1998

G'day Cooks,
The coffee and Tea discussion is fascinating. Do you know about the Arabic
'connection' for sugar? I have been given to understand that sugar was imported
from the Middle East in Period, with the origins somewhere in the Far East, and
the 'American/colonial/sugar cane industry' only appearing late to post period. I
did find one comment on a Recycling poster to the effect that the first sugar cane
factory in the Americas dates back to 1509. No docs, of course.

sca-cooks wrote: FWIW, coffee seems to have been drunk in Persia in the 9th
century. Mentioned