SC - period celery use

LrdRas LrdRas at aol.com
Sun Jan 4 08:02:59 PST 1998

<< All i know is that the root form celeriac is more period, and the stalk
 form is later, 200s or so, i believe it was in the history of food iirc
 margali

I was unable to find celery in THF. :-(. Here's what I did come up with though
from several sourses.

CELERY> Apium graveolens dulce (cultivated celery); A. graveolens (wild
celery.

Native of  Esatern Mediterranean whereit still grows wild.

Used as a funeral plant to decorate tombs and for making crowns to protect
from hangovers> Roman.

Used as a seasoning though rarely eaten as a vegetable perse by the Greeks.

Romans preferred the wild celery to cultivated celery according to Pliny.

Wild celery know in the Middle Ages. It's use was medicinal e.g. diuretic) and
it's leaf was a common decoration in cathedrals and on the coronets of dukes
and marquis.

References to cultivated celery after the downfall of Rome do not appear until
1538 when an Englishman described seeing it for the first time in VeniceIt was
"officially" cultivated in France in 1641.

The taste of wild celery is very strong. This can be achieved in cultivated
celery by growing it under stress and forgoing the paper-collar blanching
process.

With regards to "celeriac"> I hate to differ with Margali but the fact is that
Celeriac was developed during the Italian Ren. and it was delveloped from
stalk celery not vice versa.
All in all, I am unware of any medieval recipes (e.g. pre-1500 c.e/post-600
c.e.)which specifically call for the use of celery as an ingredient.

Ras