SC - Couple of questions for ya'll...

Alderton, Philippa phlip at morganco.net
Sun Jan 4 13:31:15 PST 1998

The early equivalent to aluminum foil was usually leaves and/or (clayish)
mud covering. Don't know when it started, but since it's found in many
cultures worldwide, I suspect it has been independently discovered a
zillion times.

phlip at morganco.net

Never a horse that cain't be rode,

- ----------
: Greetings!
:
: OK, I have some questions for everyone.  The first is to settle a
: discussion a friend and I had a few weeks ago.  We were discussing the
: ingredient sugar in period recipies.  It occured to us that the first
: time we can recall hearing about sugar cane is in the New World,
: particularly in terms of rum production.  Neither of us could think of
: any period reference for molassas or rum.  So, we figured that the sugar
: being called for might be beet sugar.  If we're right, then very late
: period might have used cane sugar, but not earlier periods.  Does anyone
: know what is right?
:
: The second question goes back to the discussion on wrapping onions in
: aluminum foil and throwing them in the fire pit.  That sounds wonderful,
: btw, and I can't wait to try it- I love onions :)  I've been using the
: 'wrap it in foil, throw it in the coals and forget about it for a while'
: method of cooking for ages, and do it very well, if I must say so myself
: ;)  But, I think it's a pretty safe bet that there was no reynolds wrap
: in the middle ages, so it's probably not a particularly period cooking
: method.  So, lets spur a discussion on open pit cooking in other than
: the ubiquitous Dutch Oven.
:
: Thanks!
:
: Marjorie
: Shire of Eisental, East Kingdom
: Mountain Confederation
: Fox Clan
:
: |<*><-><*>|
: http://www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/Towers/1258
: For you and I are one-way ticket
: Holders on that one-way street
: Which lies across a golden valley
: Where the waters of joy and hope run deep.
:
:
:
: