SC - Sugar, onions...

kappler kappler at edgenet.net
Sun Jan 4 17:17:23 PST 1998

> > method.  So, lets spur a discussion on open pit cooking in other than
> > the ubiquitous Dutch Oven.

 I fully understand the need for such a discussion being that, in the
modern era, we have to 'borrow' places for our events.  But it is my
intention to open Pucks Glen for events once I am permanently installed
there.  I would think that events in period were not a mobile thing, and in
fact would have been held at permanent facilities, such as the castle or
village common.  Bearing that in mind, I intend to break up the Glen pretty
much as follows:  The back 100 + acres will be left as is, with the
exception of a few judiciously placed food plots for the wildlife and a
couple 'secret' groves and gardens,  approx 20 acres for the manor house,
hot rod shop (Iknow its not period, but I loves em), kitchen gardens, barn,
greenhouse, still (hopefully:-) brewery, dairy etc. 40 or so acres for
producing fields and pasture, 20 acre vineyard, a pond, and the remaining
40 + acres for events.  Most of it will obviously have to be for camps, but
I intend to have a spot for the lists, feast cooking etc.  I am, as I said,
in the planning stages, the manor house design has been chosen as well as
most of the outbuildings, but am curious, and open to suggestions, re
facilities for the sca designated portion of the Glen.  I would like to
keep that area completely period, but am still too new at this to have any
good ideas.  Any comments about any of this part of the Glen are welcome,
but, to keep this on topic, what sort of cooking facilities would be
appropriate?

Out of breath, Puck