SC - Wine

Alderton, Philippa phlip at morganco.net
Sun Jan 4 19:52:48 PST 1998

Corks which fly across the room are the result of de-corkers who don't know
their craft.

phlip at morganco.net

Never a horse that cain't be rode,

- ----------
: At 05:44 PM 1/4/98 -0600, Bear wrote:
: >Bottles have been used since Roman times at the least.  What was not
: >available, to my knowledge, were bottles capable of handling
: >champagne-like pressures.
: >
:
: Is this really an issue with bottles, or with their corks/stoppels?  My
: lord and I recently took up glassblowing and I have a couple of
blown-glass
: wine bottles here of a sort much like what could have been blown in
period.
:  Mine have fairly thick walls (much thicker than a modern machine-made
: glass bottle) because the temperature of the molten glass was (relatively)
: low.  I'd be surprised if these couldn't handle a significant amount of
: internal pressure.  Corks/stoppels that won't fly across the room are
: another matter!
:
: =Caitlin, glassworker
: