SC - observation-OT

Gedney, Jeff Gedney at executone.com
Mon Jan 5 07:41:42 PST 1998

> on the topic, however-i have used a romertopf sealed with flour paste
> and burried in coals- sort of my mod of beggers chicken when i gots a
> bird with no feathers, and no mud. works well, but my mod was to build
> small fire around the pot before lighting it, to temper the pot so it
> wouldnt crack, then when the coal bed was starting, to put the pot on
> the coals and put a few small pieces in at a time to keep the heat
> constant rather than big pieces for a larger change in temp. i also
> soaked the pot and added a bit more than the 1 cup of wine they
> suggested, i added 2. of course, the outside is now black, but i dont
> care.
> margali

wow, This may be the only way that I have seen that the Romertopf may be
of any use to me.
I hate that slimey, soaking wet, steamed chicken it produces in the
oven.   Thanks margali for the Idea.
I got one for a wedding gift, and it has sat unused in the cabinet.

Come to think of it, maybe this might be an excellent way to "open pit"
roast garlic and vegetables...
some quartered onions, separated garlic bulbs, baby carrots, and
potatoes, salt, rosemary, olive oil, and broth...

hmmmm.....

Brandu   <happily thinking of new ways to use a tool he once dismissed
entirely>