SC - It's still chicken

Marisa Herzog marisa_herzog at macmail.ucsc.edu
Mon Jan 5 12:18:57 PST 1998

                      RE>>SC - It's still chicken? :-0             1/5/98

<snip>> the breed best known in the South where I grew up were Bantams,  the
tiniest and meanest (thus "bantam weight" boxers).
<snip>

When I was growing up we always had chickens.  The rhode island reds gave way
to silver lace wyandots that were less likely to die for no particular reason.
 Size and breed never seemed to have any influence on the meaness of the
roosters, and the Bantams were as docile as any and kept specifically for the
pretty tiny colored eggs, not as "game" or fighting birds.
Perhaps somebody could track down one of those mail order farm bird catologues
which would probably tell for sure what type of bird a cornish game hen is?
- -brid