SC - OT - EK 12th Night

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Mon Jan 5 21:07:15 PST 1998

Hi, Cooks all!

At my kingdom's Twelfth Night this past weekend, I was really pleased to
finally meet in person some of you whom  I previously knew only  through
this list.

I had the pleasure of meeting Lady Julleran, Lady Marieke, Lord Padraig,
and a couple of others. I confess I'm a bit mystified by the ease with
which some of these gentles located and identified me. I always thought
it was my friends' little joke when they said I looked just like Fred
Flintstone dressed as Constantine the Great. DOH!!! Can there be some
truth to the rumor?

Anyway, in spite of a few early logistical problems, the feast was quite
good, all in all. In keeping with the tradition of the list, here's the
menu:

Preset on tables:

Bread, honey butter, and herb cheese spread (fast and loose with
periodicity but
		something we just don't seem to be able to shake from local events)

Lemonade

First Course:

Mustard Soup (yes, _that_ mustard soup, that we discussed exhaustively
recently on this
		list)

Chicken in Orange Sauce (not sure of the source, but basically perfectly
roast chicken, with
		the sauce poured over during the final stages of roasting so it glazed
the chicken
		slightly, with the remainder deglazing the pan juices)

Rice Pilaf (generic, vaguely Turkish / North African pilao with raisins
and almonds)

Brussels Sprouts (a variation of le Menagier de Paris' recipe for baby
cabbage sprouts
		cooked as a porrey with some olive oil and a dash of vinegar -- more
like a warm
		salad in this case)

Cheesecake (adapted from Digby, but using commercial cream cheese
instead of curd
		cheese made specifically for the cakes)

Second Course:

Pork and Veal Sausage (a variation of Platina's recipe for Exicia ex
Polpe Vitellum, a.k.a.
		Mortadella)

Gingered Horseradish Mustard Sauce (see Kenelm Digby, really spicy and
excellent)

Sliced Cucumber Salad

Taillis (a lechemeat along the lines of a bread pudding made with almond
milk, from
		Taillevent)

Third Course:

Roast Beef, seasoned with chopped onion, garlic, olive oil, and salt

Cameline Sauce (beef stock, red wine, and cinnamon, thickened with
pureed raisins,
		instead of the more usual bread crumbs with raisin garnish)

Green Salad (mixed raw greens with vinegar and oil)

Cherry tart (a closed cherry pie with a mixture of cherry juice and egg
yolks poured into it
		while baking, forming a pink cherry-flavored custard, instead of the
typical
		starchy stuff)

There were one or two things I would have done differently, but since I
wasn't the one doing them, I'm prepared to say, "Vive la difference." A
good time appeared to have been had by all, in spite of my unfortunate
tardiness. Seems I showed up five minutes late for the "Pie-a-Peer"
Auction. Maybe next year!

Happy New Year to all!

Adamantius
troy at asan.com