SC - OOP-How to carbonate beverages

kappler kappler at edgenet.net
Tue Jan 6 15:46:40 PST 1998

> I've been told (THIS IS HEARSAY! PLEASE CHIME IN IF YOU HAVE TESTED
> INFORMATION!) that you can buy little cartriges of CO2 at some cook
> shops. Apparently they are used to make whipped cream _really_ fluffy. I
> don't know if you could carbonate a syrup with them, but let me know how
> your experiment turns out.

I use a 5 litre keg system for my homebrew, vice bottling it, and this uses
small (4" long by ~ 1" diameter) CO2 cartridges as propellant.  I think the
restaraunts use nitrous oxide (or at least they used to) for whipped cream.
 Growing up, my buddy worked in a fine restaraunt and we used to scam the
cartridges and inhale them for a lark.  The CO2 cartridges are definitely
available at homebrew shops, but probably wouldn't be satisfactory for your
application.  On the other hand, I am preparing to move to a soda keg
system (as mentioned earlier in this thread) and the CO2 for this setup is
purchased quite reasonably at the local welding supply.  CO2 is CO2.  The
initial cost for buying your own bottle or two is a bit much, but the gas
itself isn't.

Regards, Puck