SC - Re: sca-cooks V1 #516

Ron and Laurene Wells tinyzoo at vr-net.com
Tue Jan 6 20:22:46 PST 1998

   I'm back from an extended absence.  The messages just piled up in here
TOO FAST and furious!  I got behind by about 50 or 75 messages - that's the
DIGEST version of the messages.  Finally I just deleted all the backlog, and
I'm starting up here in the middle, when the new messages have come in since
yesterday.
Hope you all don't mind, but there was just NO WAY I was going to get caught
up reading all those that had stored up over tha last month or so.

>OK Brandu---that's an unfair spoon-teasing practice! We want particulars,
>please. Way back when I never had to worry about blood-sugar levels and
>caffeine jitters, I tutored English to Non-English Speaking students. A
>great many of them were from the Middle East, and there used to be a great
>Turkish Coffe Shop just next to the University of Arizona where one could
>get some wonderful exotic food. The recipe would bring back fond memories.
>Please get your friend to share the method/recipe. It would go well with
>some of my rosette baklava! Too bad I have no one to tell my fortune from
>the grounds in the bottom of the cup.

I have a Turkish Coffee recipe in my Meal Master database.  Try it, and let
me know if it brings back any memories.  :)

MMMMM----- Recipe via Meal-Master (tm) v8.05

      Title: TURKISH COFFEE
 Categories: Beverages, Coffee
      Yield: 2 Servings

    3/4 c  Water
      1 tb Sugar
      1 tb Pulverized Coffee
      1    Cardamon Pod

  Combine water and sugar in an ibrik or small saucepan.  Bring to a
  boil; then remove from heat and add coffee and cardamon.  Stir well
  and return to heat.  When coffee foams up, remove form heat and let
  grounds settle. Repeat twice more.  Pour into cups; let grounds
  settle before drinking.
  From Sheila Buff & Judi Olstien, "The New Mixer's Guide to
  Low-Alcohol and Nonalcholic Drinks." Published By HPBooks, Inc.,
  1986, ISBN 0-89586-458-4.

MMMMM

   My husband LOVES this coffee, but we never havvve wuite figured out hot
make it foam up.  My husband read somewhere that there is supposed to be a
froth on top of the coffee and that it is according to Turkish tradition it
is considered an insult to skimp someone on the froth when serving.  This
recipe does not seem to make any froth though - perhaps we are doing it
wrong?  PLEASE, let me know how it turns out for you!

- -Laurene
- -
*                                          The Tiny Zoo, inc.
*
*
*
*                                         Visit our Web Site!
*
*                            http://www.vr-net.com/~tinyzoo
*