SC -donating food (was trenchers) in Washinton State

Irissa Mitchell IrissaM at stlabs.com
Wed Jan 7 16:46:07 PST 1998

While I stationed at Fort Lewis, Washington in the Army (as of Apr 97
anyway) we would have mounds of food left over from the chow hall after
a field training exercise. We were forced to throw it away because the
Army did not want to risk being sued by a shelter. All of this food was
still in containers/canned and never opened and I literally mean
*MOUNDS*. There were neat piles up to my waist the width and length of a
small car!!

I even went to my Battalion Command Sergeant Major and asked
(complained) why we were not allowed to collect the leftovers and donate
them to the homeless shelters nearby. He said the Army could not risk a
homeless person getting food poisoning and suing the Army and if we
(other soldiers and myself) were caught *stealing* these leftovers
(again) and taking them to the shelters we would be court marshaled.

As far as I know the shelter did NOT object to our donations. They
seemed very happy to see to cars full of food and us in uniform
delivering it.

Irissa