OT -- Re: SC - Out-of-Office

Par Leijonhuvud pkl at absaroka.obgyn.ks.se
Wed Jan 7 21:50:20 PST 1998

On Wed, 7 Jan 1998, L Herr-Gelatt and J R Gelatt wrote:

> Ok---everybody send Mr. Young a virtual pie in the face at pieface.com
> (Pennsylvania Pie Board). Better make it a Mr. Cherry Pie (lol). Maybe then
> he'll think twice abut polluting the list so much with auto-responses.

Hey, at least his vacation program is (more or less) correctly
configured, and doesn't send more than one notice to each address. We
could have gotten one of these for every message to the list, including
the notices from his vacation program... And that way lies
postmaster_at_okstate[1].

In the best of all worlds it would have noticed that it was replying to
a list, and just sent it to Gunthar instead (if at all). The
have fixed that. But Dr. Pangloss was wrong, as we all know.

The correct action in this case is, IMHO, a polite note from Gunthar to
the the sender, asking him to ask his postmaster how to configure their
vacation program to follow standards in regards to email marked as

Mr. Young is innoncent in this case, assuming he's not he postmaster.

/UlfR

[1] This was a poke at the incompentence (IMNSHO) of the postmaster at
that site, not anyone else from there.[2]

[2] The previous footnote reminds me of a historical incident. A bishop
inserts a note stating that he was "to this forced by nessesity" inside
his seal on a letter de-throning a king. Saved his head when said king
returned to power. Swedes still refer to "Brask notes", after the name
of the bishop.

- --
Par Leijonhufvud                  par.leijonhufvud at labtek.ki.se
PGP fingerprint = 76 3B 11 28 79 39 87 C0  DC 4C 1F 4C C0 1F 1E 89
/earth is 98% full. Please remove any excess inhabitants.